Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back In The Swing Of Things

It's been a bit longer than a week now since we came back from South Africa. The trip was wonderful; seeing everyone was wonderful; seeing Jen have such an inspirational reaction to the country was wonderful. Being back in Cape Town was fantastic - just to be in that cultural environment, going to all the art galleries and hearing people beat the crap out of African drums on Green Market Square gave a sense of belonging that I will never find anywhere else.

The three weeks went by so quick. I wish we could have stayed longer. It's a long journey, getting there, but now that I have done it once, the distance (at least in my mind) seems to have grown just a little bit smaller.

Back home, in New Zealand, things are amping up to the next level. I have to start writing my thesis this week, and I'm petrified. My supervisor told me calmly to just start wherever I feel like starting. Don't worry about the introduction, it will write itself. No, it won't! Anyhoo, I think I have found my companion piece to "The Dunwhich Horror", which is Poe's "A Descent Into The Maelstrom".

Also have to find time to FINISH THE BOOK.

3 comments:

Marianne de Pierres said...

Welcome home!

Lynne Jamneck said...

It's good to be home :)

Unknown said...

I'm fascinated to see how you will make a companion piece connection between Dunwich Horror and Maelstrom.